Dia de Los Muertos Wreath



Hey guys! My name is Alexis, and I am SO excited to be joining in Eighteen25's amazing Spooktacular September this year! Persia Lou is my little corner of the internet, where I share my latest home decorating adventures, lots of craft projects, and free crochet patterns.

This year my Halloween projects have been really inspired by Dia de los Muertos, and all of the colorful sugar skulls and ofrendas used to celebrate the holiday. Another Dia de los Muertos symbol is the marigold, which really inspired this wreath.


Marigolds are used to decorate altars made to loved ones. I made my own version of marigold tissue paper flowers as the base for my Dia de los Muertos inspired wreath.
 
To make this wreath, you will need:
  • tissue paper in yellow, peach, and orange
  • wire
  • wire wreath form (I found mine at the dollar store)
  • black and white striped ribbon
  • white felt
  • black puffy paint
  • hot glue gun

I started off my making whole pile of pretty tissue paper flowers in shades of orange and yellow.

To make your tissue paper into rectangles. Five by seven inch rectangles make a nice medium-sized flower. Create some bigger and smaller flowers to get a variety of sizes in your wreath.
 
You will need six sheets of tissue paper for each flower - 3 each of two colors. Stack the six sheets together alternating colors.


Then, fold up the stack using an accordion fold. Twist a piece of wire around the middle.


Clip the ends into a scalloped shape.

 
Carefully separate the layers of tissue paper to create your flower. Find the center piece of tissue paper, twist it together, and clip it off to form the flower's center.


When you have a nice pile of flowers (I ended up using 22 flowers), attach them to your wreath form using the wires.
 
To embellish the wreath, I added a black and white bow and a little felt sugar skull. I used some sugar skull cookie cutters I have to help me make my felt sugar skull, but you can find all kinds of sugar skull design inspiration online.


This was my first time using puffy paint since probably fifth grade, and it was everything I remembered it to be.


I made a whole bunch of these little guys - colorful versions as well as just black and white - and picked a favorite for the wreath.


Finally, use hot glue to attach the bow and sugar skull to the wreath. Then, just hang and enjoy!



If you are looking for even more Halloween inspiration, check out some of my favorite projects:




Visit Alexis on her BLOG | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST


No comments:

Post a Comment