Please Welcome: Jeran from Oleander and Palm





Hi there, this is Jeran from Oleander and Palm.  I'm really excited to be here and share this Valentine's Day wall pendant with you.  I've been having a lot of fun with this geometric heart pattern for Valentine's day.  I even made a giant paper version of this for my wall.

I don't know about you, but I love working with fabric. It comes in every color and pattern imaginable and adds a tactile and textural element to crafts. I think a lot of folks are intimidated by fabric because they think sewing will have to be involved. But, this fabric craft is really simple and requires NO sewing at all.  So don't be scarred, let's have fun with fabric.

 
Supplies:
1 large fabric napkin (at least 16" wide) 
4" strip of cotton fabric (I used white, pink and light pink)
a small piece of wonder under (iron-on paper backed fusible web)
18" piece of wood dowel
small piece of glittered card stock
string or yarn for hanging the pendant
fabric glue (I like Fabri-Tac)
scissors or rotary cutter


So, here's how you make it. First, start by ironing on your wonder under to the backs of the fabrics you will use for the triangles. Once it is adhered, remove the paper backing.


For the gold triangles, I painted a small piece of white fabric with Martha Stewart's metallic gold craft paint. Once it was dry, I ironed it to set the paint. Then the wonder under can be adhered to the back of this fabric as well.

 
Now you will need to cut 20 triangles. Start by cutting ten 2 1/2" squares and then cut the squares in half diagonally. I used a rotary cutter, but scissors and a template would work find as well. I cut 8 each of the pink fabrics and 6 of the gold.

 
Arrange the triangles in the pattern you would like. 

 
Then arrange them in the middle of the cloth napkin and when you are satisfied with their placement, iron them in place. 
 
Then to hang the pendant, you will want to either sew or fabric glue the top of the napkin down 1", making a tube opening for the dowel.
 
I painted my dowel gold and attached an arrow and feathers on either end that I cut from some glittered card stock. And finally, I simply tied a string to either end of the dowel so that I could hang it.
 


I hope you enjoy this Valentine's Day pendant, I'll be hanging mine for years to come.  Happy Valentine's Day!

___________________________________________



No comments:

Post a Comment