Today's Guest: Under the Sycamore

We are so excited to have
 Ashley from Under the Sycamore  here today!! 
I am in love with Ashley's blog! She has a way of inspiring you to be better.
A better photographer, a better mother, a better person!!
Check it out... I'm sure you'll agree!!


*************************

I admit to being one of those moms that is not a fan of all the sugar that enters our house during the month of October. My kids aren't too excited about passing out fruit at school parties or to friends, so we try to come up with something that we all can agree on. If you are looking for simple gift ideas and don't need a massive quantity here is a basic idea for making playdough a bit cuter.

 The recipe I use is one my mom made with me as a child. It is simple enough for someone who is not that great in the kitchen (me!)

You will need:
1 cup flour
1/4 cup of salt
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 smidge of gel food coloring (or 2 teaspoons normal food coloring)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil



I always like to include my kids in the process, but it does make for a little bit of a mess. I recommend letting the kids mix the dry ingredients in the skillet on a table, then add the wet ingredients.




I wanted my playdough to be very vibrant so I used gel food coloring....black & orange. The kids can mix it all up before you stick it on the stovetop to 'cook'.




Next, you will cook the dough until it forms into a ball. Just stick the skillet on the stovetop on medium/high and cook. Finally, knead the dough until smooth. I recommend kneading on a placemat to avoid any of the food coloring coming off during the kneading process while the dough is still hot.





Now to make the dough cute to use as a gift. Some supplies you need: clear bags (from Big Lots), decorative spiders (from Hobby Lobby), ribbon, cute label (from Shabby Chic Crafts), & plastic wrap.





Wrap each dough in plastic wrap, add a few spiders inside the bag, punch a couple
 of holes and tie with a ribbon and label.




Thanks for having me!

No comments:

Post a Comment