Today's Guest: Tatertots & Jello


Hi there eighteen25 readers!
My name is Jen from Tatertots & Jello and I am thrilled to be here today!! How exciting is this party? I LOVE Halloween, it really is one of my favorite holidays! I still love to dress up every year!



Today I thought I would share a fun little project -- 

Painted Halloween Pennant Pillows!!


I had some pillow forms that I wanted to use. So I took those pillow forms and added 1 inch to each of the sides. {I used canvas because I had made some canvas pillows last Spring and they have really held up well}. I cut my canvas to the sizes I measured. I made envelope-back pillows -- so for the back of the pillows, I measure the width and added 8 inches, then I cut that piece in half. This way, there is a 4 inch overlap in the back to slide the pillow form in.



Then I made my Pennant Templates. I decided that I wanted to make two different sizes of pennants. One is a triangle -- 3 inches on all sides. The other is 4 inches across and 5 and half inches in length. I cut those out.



The next thing I did was I drew a curved line across the canvas with a pencil. On one pillow I drew three lines across and on the smaller pillow I only drew one line. Then I took my pennant and traced it across the line. On the smaller pillow I used the large pennant template, and on the larger pillow I used the smaller pennant template for contrast.



DecoArt makes this really cool medium that let's you take any craft paint and make it into Fabric Paint. It's pretty fun! I poured some paint on a paper plate and mixed the DecoArt Fabric Medium in with each color. Then I filled the pennants in with color. I used yellow, orange and black paint for the pennants.



Once it dried, I ironed the fabric to set the paint as the instructions said. After that I traced the pennants with a fabric pen. And sewed the little buttons on each pennant.


And then I applied ribbon trim to the lines across the pillows. I used No-sew adhesive {Liquid Stitch} to put the trim on the pillows. I love that stuff - it is great to use! I let it dry overnight.



I decided to stencil on a little "boo" on the small pillow. And a little decorative flower!



Then I sewed the backs on to the pillows. To the smaller pillow, I made a little ruffle out of coordinating material. I measured the pillow all the way around and doubled the length. I cut the material at 5 inches in width and then folded it over and stitched it with a very wide stitch. Then I pulled the thread and ruffled the material up and then pinned it onto the front of the pillow. The next thing I did was I put the back on top and sewed the pillow together.



Once the pillow covers were sewn, I put my pillow forms in and voila! 
Halloween has arrived at my house!!


Thank you Jennifer, Jamie and Jodie -- I had a wonderful time at your party!! 

XOXO

********************************************************
*************************************
thanks so much jen! i think i need a set of those pillows for my couch!  too fun!
i'm sure you're already a tatertots and jello fan, but if not head on over and check out all the great ideas she has to share!
you're going to like what you see!!   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment